One of the questions I am asked most frequently is “What do you eat?”
I somehow missed out on the cooking gene in my family. Seriously I would rather do just about anything else, than have to slave away in the kitchen. Give me a toilet bowl brush over a spatula any day!! But I FINALLY found a system that works for me and keeps me on track, but it’s all about PLANNING. I spend a couple hours in the kitchen on Sunday so I can have my whole week’s worth of meals cooked & planned out…not to mention I don’t have to spend even more time in that dreaded place cooking each individual meal! One day and done for the week!
For most people trying to lose weight or live healthier, knowing what to eat is the hardest thing to tackle. And with most people’s schedules, they need something quick they can grab.
So in case you are sitting around wondering what’s in my fridge…..let’s take a look at my fridge cribs’ style……
1. Hummus– I ALWAYS get the cracked red pepper. Big on flavor, low in calories. For 1 Tbsp it’s about 25 calories. But I usually just need a light spread of it on a whole wheat tortilla with egg whites. Or if you love Deviled Eggs, I take the yolks out and put in a little hummus. Yum!
2. Sliced Deli Turkey– Since it’s high in sodium and it’s processed, I only ever have this as a special treat. It tastes good just rolled up by itself. Or of course on some bread with tomato and mustard.
3. Egg Whites! I could not live without these!
4. Frank’s Red Hot– a staple in your fridge if you want to spice things up for 0 calories! Awesome on Egg whites!
5. Salsa– I put this on EVERYTHING. Egg whites, turkey burgers, everything…and its only 10 calories for 2 Tbsp.
6.My special Oatmeal Mix– oatmeal with sliced almonds, flax seed, wheat germ and a few raisins. Just add water, pop in the microwave- done.
7. Ground Turkey cooked with Chili powder, red peppers and mushroom, Heat up, put in tortilla, done.
8. Mini Salads– Mixed greens with cherry tomatoes and mushrooms. In the morning, I add sliced hard boiled eggs, (sometimes I’ll add a couple walnuts or almonds) and a little balsamic vinaigrette and I’m out the door. This is usually my 10:30am snack.
9. Shakeology Mix! 1 scoop Chocolate Shakeology, 1 tsp PB2, and a small handful of ground walnuts. I always have extra shaker cups at work and in my car with bottled water, so I can grab this and go without having to worry about not having a meal. It’s made best in the blender!! I couldn’t live without my Magic Bullet! But there are days you just don’t have time for the blender…..
10. Mini packets of flax seed– I grab these and throw it on my salad, in my rice, in my shakes. Super convenient!
11. Cooked brown rice– I love having it in indivdual containers, so I can heat up one serving at a time. Plus this way, I can switch it up so I don’t get bored. I can mix it up everything. I LOVE those frozen steamed veggies!! Throw them in the microwave and spoon some out over my rice!
12. Hard boiled Eggs– again, I LOVE my eggs! I put these on the salads, and I am a big fan of just eating them plain. Take out the yolk and you’re good to go. Perfect little snack. Make it even better with a little salt and pepper or hummus 🙂
13. Baked Chicken- I am not good at cooking, BUT I can bake some chicken! I usually bake 5 chicken tenderloins at a time, and then cut them up into small pieces so I can add them to my rice or salads.
14. Whole Wheat Tortillas– What would I do without them?! You can put anything in them….steamed veggies, eggs whites , spinach and salsa, ground turkey…..the sky is the limit!
15. Spinach– another must have in my fridge! I add spinach to anything I can!!
16. Sliced almonds and walnuts– I add these to my salads, Shakeology, eat them by themselves. So delicious! I heard that keeping them in the fridge helps preserve the healthy fats in them longer…so that’s where they live now.
17. My snack packs! I LOVE LOVE LOVE fruit! So I have to be able to grab it quickly. I wash everything on my Sunday prep day- then I made little baggies with a serving. This week red grapes were only $1 a lb! Score!!
18. Naval Oranges– I Love fruit! Enough said 🙂
19- Granny Smith Apples– I don’t think I could live without these. They are perfect by themselves, on salads or with Peanut Butter (one of my favorite snacks)!!